Marisela Mochali (32), originally from Lesotho, showed no emotion when Judge Rosina Sepato sentenced him at the Free State High Court yesterday.
He was convicted on 12 charges of rape, eight charges of housebreaking and two of robbery and theft.
Mochali was arrested in March last year and has been in custody since then. The crimes were committed in Bloemfontein.
The judge said the accused showed no remorse and there were no compelling reasons for a lesser sentence.
– On 4 November 2011, Mochali broke into the house of a 30-year-old woman in phase 9, raped her and stole a cellphone, R11 and a passport.
– On 11 November 2011, he raped a 29-year-old woman in phase 3 and stole two of her handbags, R595, a cellphone and clothes.
– On 12 November 2011, he broke into the house of a 22-year-old woman in Khayelitsha and stole her cellphone and R200 before raping her.
– On 17 November 2011 in phase 9, Mochali broke into the house of a 28-year-old woman and stole her cellphone, R10,80 and clothes.
– On 19 November 2011 in Grassland, he raped a 17-year-old woman and stole her cellphone.
– On 2 December 2011 in Grassland, he raped a 16-year-old girl before stealing her cellphone and R300.
– On 11 January last year in Grassland, he broke into the house of a woman (31) and stole her cellphone, R100 and then raped her.
– On 13 January last year in phase 9, he raped a woman (22) after breaking into her house.
– On 16 January last year in phase 9, he broke into the house of a 16-year-old girl and stole clothes, two cellphones and R2 930.
– On 1 February last year in phase 10, he raped a 32-year-old woman and robbed her of clothes and R1 990.
– On 10 February last year Mochali broke into the house of a woman (25)in Grassland and raped her. He also stole her cellphone.