DOZENS of angry community members gathered outside court on Monday.They were there when two men accused of repeatedly raping two eight-year-old girls, making one of them pregnant, appeared in court.
Standing outside the KwaNobuhle Magistrates Court, residents of Uitenhage, Eastern Cape, demanded that the two suspects be denied bail. There was a heavy police presence to monitor the situation.
The suspects allegedly took turns to rape the girls on three occasions after dragging them into an abandoned house. The men, aged 25 and 26, appeared for the second time on Monday to apply for bail, which was denied. They were not asked to plead.
Magistrate Xoliswa Matrose said he viewed the case in a very serious light before postponing it to 13 December.
Protest leader Mongezi Windvoel (43) told Daily Sun: “We want these thugs to stay in jail. We would have taken the law into our own hands if they were granted bail. Enough is enough.
“Women and children have the right to live a peaceful life.”
Angry resident Andiswa Mafa (34) said: “Justice must take its course. These bastards must stay behind bars because they are not safe in the kasi.”
The 41-year-old mum of the pregnant girl said: “I noticed that my daughter had been raped on 15 October when she arrived home late from school. She looked sad and when I asked her what was wrong, she said her eyes were sore. I didn’t believe her.
“She then went to her room and locked the door. I forced her to open it and discovered that her panties were covered in blood,” she sobbed.
“These evil men destroyed the future of my daughter. She is pregnant with the child of a rapist. How will she ever get over this?”