Deputy president Cyril Ramaphosa’s sex scandal has so far not led to a loss of support among his backers ahead of December’s ANC elective conference.
His supporters yesterday said they believed allegations that he had affairs with eight women, including a student, were part of a smear campaign.
Ramaphosa denied having affairs with multiple women but admitted to an affair with one woman, which ended eight years ago.
“I had a relationship with only one person and it ended. I dealt with it with my wife. We now have a professional relationship,” he said.
However, The Sunday Independent reported it was in possession of explosive email exchanges between Ramaphosa and several women.
Ramaphosa told The Sunday Times: “I have to be prevented at all costs from ascending to the position of president of the ANC. Some have even said it will happen over their dead bodies.”
After the news broke, ANC Northern Cape secretary Deshi Ngxanga vowed to continue lobbying for Ramaphosa.
“We are firmer than we were before. We feel this is just to drag his name in the mud. We will support him come hell or high water.”
Cosatu general-secretary Bheki Ntshalintshali told Daily Sun the union would continue to support Ramaphosa. He said at a recent central executive committee meeting he had warned there would be dirty tricks.
SA Communist Party first deputy secretary Solly Mapaila said the allegations were the result of the abuse of state organs. He called on the government to rein in intelligence and state security agencies.
The Ramaphosa campaign team yesterday said they were steaming ahead to make sure he became ANC president in December.
Former KZN ANC chairman Senzo Mchunu, a Ramaphosa ally, also said the campaign would continue.
Cyril Ramaphosa Foto Deaan Vivier/Netwerk24Photo by photographer