Her daughter Matshediso Mahlatsi is lucky to be alive.
She was praying with candles in her room then suddenly she saw a dark hole. The next thing she knew, she was on fire.
On Thursday, Matshediso went to her room to pray and to calm the spirits that haunt her dreams.
Matshediso said she has a calling to be a sangoma but she refused to honour her calling and make her ancestors happy.
The 29-year-old from Kgotsong kasi at Bothaville, in the Free State, passed out and was burnt by the fire.
Jemina said she was on her way from church when neighbours told her that her house was on fire.
“I ran home and found my daughter’s bedroom filled with smoke. When I opened the windows, I saw my daughter in flames covered with a blanket.”
“The ancestors are angry with my daughter for not following her calling. We thought prayer would chase the spirits away but it did not,” said Jemina.
The gogo said her daughter prays in her room whenever the spirits come to her.
“She prays loudly in her room and then moves to other rooms in the house, chanting prayers. After a couple of hours, she is calm again,” the gogo said.
Matshediso has suffered severe burns on her breasts, stomach and right leg. She was taken to Nala Hospital in Bothaville and later transferred to Pelonomi Hospital in Bloemfontein, where she is recovering.
Jemina wants help before her daughter loses her life.
Sangoma Ishmael Ntholeng said: “If you resist your calling, you will be punished. For as long as she refuses her calling, she will suffer. She must do what the ancestors ask of her or it could be deadly.”
Police Captain Stephen Thakeng said the case was not reported to the police. He advised the family to open a case.