Pholile squatter camp in Lwandle, Strand, close to Cape Town,on Thursday witnessed the sad incident of a 9-year-old boy dying after he was allegedly electrocuted by an illegal electricity connection.
The boy was playing with friends near stagnant water when he was allegedly electrocuted by exposed live wires.Cops said they responded to the incident shortly after 4pm on Thursday.
Sergeant Mthokozisi Gama, a police spokesman, said: “Friends alerted a relative of the boy to the incident. The boy’s grandfather, who had rushed to the scene, took him out of the water he had fallen into. Efforts to resuscitate him were unsuccessful.”
Police have opened an inquest docket. A resident, Nomava Qaku (30), said: “How many of us should die before we get electricity in this area? Leaders, please hear our cry. Don’t neglect us in this time of need. We’re dying here. This is not a place for humans.”
The last time residents held a protest, Anda Ntsodo, the City of Cape Town’s mayoral committee member, said engineers were still assessing the area and electrification would start as soon as the Housing Development Agency had approved it.
The ward 86 councillor, Jongidumo Maxheke, said the community was devastated by the incident.“Our people are dying here and they need services, including electricity. This is very sad. I can’t imagine what the family is feeling right now, having lost a young child in this way.”
The parents of the 9-year-old could not talk to the SunTeam as they were still shocked by the death of their son.In April this year a family of five burned to death due to the illegal connections in the area.
When Daily Sun left the scene some people were busy making illegal connections and when asked, one man said:
“What other choice do we have? We need electricity. Maybe we will stop when we die.”